Lillian Crawford, film and culture writer and a regular host of Autism Through Cinema podcast will host this relaxed screening and the discussion that follows.
The everyday world of shop worker Genevieve and car mechanic Guy is brought to life with sensational colours and set design, drawing us into the emotional and physical spaces they inhabit. Their dialogue is all sung and Michel Legrand’s score is both rapturous and intense, transforming our experience and offering different ways to respond. It’s a ground-breaking classic.
THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG (LES PARAPLUIES DE CHERBOURG)
Director: Jacques Demy
Production Companies: Parc Film, Madeleine Films, Beta Film
Producer: Mag Bodard
Original Scenario/Dialogue: Jacques Demy
Director of Photography: Jean Rabier
Editor: Monique Teisseire
Costumes: Jacqueline Moreau
Music/Music Conductor: Michel Legrand
Lyrics: Jacques Demy
Catherine Deneuve (Geneviève Emery)
Nino Castelnuovo (Guy Foucher)
Anne Vernon (Madame Emery)
Marc Michel (Roland Cassard)
Ellen Farner (Madeleine)
France/West Germany 1964
We welcome your feedback on this screening. Relaxedscreeningsfeedback@bfi.org.uk
BFI Southbank has been awarded the National Autistic Society’s Autism Friendly Award.
The next relaxed screenings are:
PONTYPOOL + intro and discussion Monday 31 October 2022 18:10 NFT3
THE FLY + intro and discussion Monday 28 November 2022 18:00 NFT3
Find out more at www.whatson.bfi.org.uk and bfi.org.uk/relaxed
Relaxed screenings are presented each month for
those in the neurodiverse community, their assistants and carers.
• Customers can select their seats when they arrive in the auditorium. You may sit with your family/friendship group or there are some single seats if you prefer.
• Please leave space between yourself and other groups and retain your selected seats for the duration of the performance if possible.
• We encourage you to wear a face covering if you are able to.
• You are welcome to take refreshments into the auditorium but no hot food please.
• Doors will open 30 minutes before the screening.
• No trailers will be shown.
• The programme will be introduced.
• Our house lights will remain on a low level throughout the screening, and the volume will be turned slightly down.
• You will be able to leave the auditorium and return during the screening.
• There will be a quiet space to use if you need to leave the auditorium.
• We understand you may make some noise.
• Please ask us if you need help.