+ intro and discussion.
See the film that George Lucas drew inspiration from for the original trilogy in the Star Wars saga, in the first of two relaxed screenings in our Kurosawa season. At a time of war, two opportunistic peasants attempting to reach home find themselves caught up in a struggle to save a rebel princess. Kurosawa’s adventure features slapstick comedy, swordfights and more than a little double-crossing.
Selected and hosted by campaigner and creative Leo Capella.
THE HIDDEN FORTRESS
Director: Akira Kurosawa
Production Companies: Toho Co. Ltd.
Toshiro Mifune (General Rokurota Makabe)
Misa Uehara (Princess Yuki)
Minoru Chiaki (Tahei)
Kamatari Fujiwara (Matakichi)
Takashi Shimura (General Izumi Nagakura)
KUROSAWA: HONOUR, MIFUNE AND BETRAYAL
As part of our Akira Kurosawa season in January and February we present two relaxed screenings which show core themes of honour and betrayal from in his work in very different ways.
Both films feature the legendary actor Toshiro Mifune with whom Kurosawa had a defining partnership in two different roles: wise rebel general and tragic war-hero turned villain. Both films also explore similar themes of honour amongst people and betrayal in different ways, whether through comic double crossing comedy or intense character driven tragedy.
The screenings have been selected by campaigner and creative Leo Capella (former Autism Access Specialist at the National Autistic Society). He will introduce each screening.
After each screening join us for a relaxed discussion in the Blue Room as we explore some of these themes. Leo Capella will host the discussion in conversation with Kurosawa season co-programmer, Ian Haydn-Smith.
We welcome your feedback on this screening. Relaxedscreeningsfeedback@bfi.org.uk
BFI Southbank has been awarded the National Autistic Society’s Autism Friendly Award.
The next relaxed screenings are:
SHADOW + intro and discussion
Wednesday 8 Feb 18:20 NFT3
THRONE OF BLOOD + intro and discussion
Monday 27 February 2023 18:15 NFT3
Find out more at www.whatson.bfi.org.uk and bfi.org.uk/relaxed
Relaxed screenings are presented each month for
those in the neurodiverse community, their assistants and carers.
• Customers can select their seats when they arrive in the auditorium. You may sit with your family/friendship group or there are some single seats if you prefer.
• Please leave space between yourself and other groups and retain your selected seats for the duration of the performance if possible.
• We encourage you to wear a face covering if you are able to.
• You are welcome to take refreshments into the auditorium but no hot food please.
• Doors will open 30 minutes before the screening.
• No trailers will be shown.
• The programme will be introduced.
• Our house lights will remain on a low level throughout the screening, and the volume will be turned slightly down.
• You will be able to leave the auditorium and return during the screening.
• There will be a quiet space to use if you need to leave the auditorium.
• We understand you may make some noise.
• Please ask us if you need help.